[sane-devel] Problems running saned from xinetd

Marcel Pol mpol@gmx.net
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:31:07 +0100

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:57:50 -0800 (PST)
Emmanuel Gravel <e_gravel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The scanner is fully installed and running (xsane shows incredible results),
> and running saned from the commandline also works (saned -d), since I've
> been able to scan from a Windows client. However, running from xinetd
> doesn't work at all. From the commandline, I've run saned as root and as
> user saned (created the user by hand, and made the shell be bash for su -,
> but /bin/false otherwise) and the /dev/usb/scanner0 is set to group saned.
>
> When running from xinetd, the server is listening (netstat -a shows a
> listener at port 6566) and a telnet to that port is also accepted. However,
> it's immediately dropped. scanimage -L (plus whatever else is necessary to
> connect to saned, sorry, not at my system right now) works well when running
> saned standalone, but does show the drop when running saned through xinetd.
> It always properly shows the scanner through local connection.

What is the content of your xinetd configfile?
I had to explicitly set it to use the group id by adding "groups = yes". By
default xinetd doesn't care about the group permissions, only the user
permissions.

service sane
{
        disable = no