[sane-devel] FW: SANE back-end development

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:00:26 -0500 (EST)

last time i checked, there were no lawyers on this list. it does not
matter what any of us thinks about how possible your plan is, it matters
what they lawyers think. you simply MUST ask your companies legal counsel.

but as a personal note, i agree strongly with abel. do not say that it is
'supported by sane' when what you should say is 'SANE compliant' or
'works with SANE'. also, dont miss the point of SANE, it is multi-os, not
just a linux driver. when you support sane normally (source code) you are
building a driver for your equipment on dozens of unix variants (plus os/2)

if you go and distribute a binary only module, then you only partially
support SANE, and your statement becomes even more cloudy, even to the
point of having to not mention sane at all...

allan