[sane-devel] Sane only available to Super User - Canon FP330P

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:59:24 +0000

Matthew Duggan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:22:37PM +1300, Kim L. Mantle wrote:
>
>>Matthew
>>
>>Many thanks for your advice.
>>
>>I have taken heed of your advice and completed those changes to the
>>canon_pp.conf file and all works sweetly.
>>
>>Tell me though Matthew - is option 2 an option, as such, or can the changes
>>be made in conjunction with Till's suggestion plus your amendment (option
>>1)?
>>
>>Kind regards
>>
>>Kimbo
>

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I should have explained more clearly.  Setting up your user to
> have access to the parport will allow you to access the backend
> directly without the need for running saned.  The changes can be
> made independently so you can do both if you want.  I'd recommend
> trying both methods, because depending on your hardware setup,
> xsane through saned may be faster than running xsane directly.

Why is X-Sane through saned faster than direct scanner access with
X-Sane? Should I modify scannerdrake (scanner setup tool of Mandrake
Linux) so that all scanners get configured via saned?

    Till