[sane-devel] has feeder loaded

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:56:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 04:30:01PM +0100, Oliver Schirrmeister wrote:
> > The fujitsu backend offers a SOFT_DETECT, HARD_SELECT option 'startbutton'
> > to query button1. The same thing could be done with 'paper in hopper' or else.
> > But these options should have the same name for all backends. Is there such
> > a known name or other interface?
>
> Not yet, but the SANE2 draft already contains a proposal for buttons:
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane2/0.08/doc014.html
>
> Additions for "paper in hopper" could be done. Can you explain why a
> standardized option is useful? I don't say it isn't I just don't have
> an idea what to do excatly with it.

dont think in terms of the normal things you do with a flatbed, think
instead of those of us in the document imaging and capture world. if a
front-end could run on a system and monitor the state of the hardware
(regardless of the scanner manufacturer) then it could prompt the user for
action when pages are inserted, or even, start scanning them as soon as
they go in, with no other action required. the latter makes for an
interesting headless system...

allan