[sane-devel] How to download files for Artec e+48u scanner?

cr cr@orcon.net.nz
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:41:38 +1300

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:14, Bjoern Brill wrote:
> Sorry, had to resend this, used a wrong From: address first time.

(snip)

> > Is there anywhere I can download just the e+48u libsane and conf files
> > from? Where (in a Debian system) should those files go?
>
> I doubt that dropping newer .so files into an old installation  would
> work. Look at http://www.apt-get.org/ for a newer libsane package
> compiled for woody. Adrian Bunk's excellent backports collection should
> have one. libsane is about 2 megabyte, so it's not that huge. Maybe you
> need a newer libusb package as well, but try with the one you have first.

Many thanks for the detailed advice.   Apologies for the long delay in
acknoleding it, I was fiddling around tryong to get things to work.  However,
I seem to be going backwards.     :(

I downloaded libsane_1.0.12-4.bunk_i386.deb from www.apt-get.org (or from the
link it pointed to).
Tried to install it using Kpackage (which invoked  dpkg -i ...)    I got an
error message of unmet dependencies -  gphoto2 and libieee1284-3.

I could try downloading those but I'm afraid of ending up in a cascade of
dependencies.   I'd assumed Adrian Bunk's packages should be compatible with
what's already in Woody.

I see that my /etc/sane.d/ directory now contains  *.conf.dpkg-new
equivalents of all the original  *.conf files, plus one for the
artec_eplus48u.

However, sane-find-scanner (which worked OK when I previously tried it) seems
to have completely disappeared.   I get 'command not found'.   I can't find
it anywhere in my system.

This is frustrating.

(Later...)
I just did  apt-get -f install which removed sane, xsane and libsane.
Then I did apt-get install sane and apt-get install xsane (off the Woody
CD's) which put sane 1.0.7 back and now   sane-find-scanner works.    Which
is where I was at before...

I think I may just upgrade to Sarge (which should be due for release any day
now) and hope that includes the Artec 48u backend.

Regards

Chris