[sane-devel] saned on Gentoo 1.4: disable IPv6?

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:25:09 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 05:43:57PM +0100, Wolfgang Fabics wrote:
> The problem seems to be that saned simply won't start at all without
> parameters (even if I try to start it manually). Xinetd cannot pass
> parameters to saned, so I guess that's why it won't start when xinetd
> tries to fire it up.
>
> The question now seems to be: How do i get saned to run in a usable mode
> (and not in debug)?

What does happen if you start it without parameters from the command
line? It should start as usual and return immediately. saned expects
communication through stdout and stdin when not in debug mode. As
stdout and stdin are not a network connection when running manually,
saned exits:

hmg@hmg1:~/src/cvs/sane/sane-backends$ /usr/local/sbin/saned
hmg@hmg1:~/src/cvs/sane/sane-backends$

Syslog:
Dec 22 20:18:03 hmg1 saned[29071]: saned (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.13-cvs ready
Dec 22 20:18:03 hmg1 saned[29071]: check_host: getpeername failed: Socket operation on non-socket
Dec 22 20:18:03 hmg1 saned[29071]: init: access by host [error] denied
Dec 22 20:18:03 hmg1 saned[29071]: quit: exiting

Does the same happen for you? If not, running saned with strace or gdb
may show a problem.

> > I sure that IPv6 is not your problem. As you can "see" the scanner,
> > the connection is ok. I.e. start saned again and scan directly:
>
> Hmm... my problem is: I cannot start saned at all, despite in debug
> mode. I mean, it's supposed to run if I simply type "saned", no?

Yes, but exit immediately.

> I do not get any error messages, it's just not there in ps -ax (with
> xinetd disabled, ofc). So I think if I cannot even start it manually,
> xinted won't be able to start it as well... any idea?

See above. xinetd will use a socket to connect to it. In debug mode,
saned does open the socket itsself.

> OK, will do (no actual idea so far but I'll keep investigating). I did
> that script test you suggested, and it gives me:
>
> # ktelnet localhost sane
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to horus.mshome.net (127.0.0.1).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> ...which is (don't ask me why) the same thing I get when I re-replace
> the script location with the real /usr/sbin/saned now (no "connection
> refused" anymore). Sigh... I really did not change a thing since last
> time :-/

For some reason, the script (and saned) can't be started. Permissions
(executable right)? Does the user and group xinetd uses for sane exist?
Try to login as this user and run saned (-d).