[sane-devel] CanoScan N650U (plustek backend) not working with Mac OS X 10.3.2 build 7D24

Henrik Rintala henrik@rintala.de
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:24:13 +0100

I do not seem to get the CanoScan N650U to work with my installation. I
first tried it with the precompiled
software from <http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/> and after I could not
get it to work, I downloaded additionally
<http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/sane-backends-2003-12-23.tar.gz>
and compiled it.

With both versions the problem is that scanimage does not seem to be
able to connect to the scanner.

Before compiling the latter packet I also tried editing the
plustek.conf file without success (setting the vendor and product id).

Maybe someone has an idea what to try next.

Thanks!

Below you will see the results of the following commands:
- sane-find-scanner
- scanimage -L
- sane-find-scanner -v -v

Here is what I get:

###################

Henrik-Rintala:/usr/local/bin shr$ ./sane-find-scanner

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x2206 [CanoScan],
chip=LM983x?) at libusb:024:002
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

   # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
can't be
   # detected by this program.

   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once
you
   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
   # necessary.

#####################

Henrik-Rintala:/usr/local/bin shr$ ./scanimage -L

#######################

Henrik-Rintala:/usr/local/bin shr$ ./sane-find-scanner -v -v

searching for SCSI scanners:
   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

searching for USB scanners:
trying libusb:
device 0x05ac/0x8005 is not configured

<device descriptor of 0x04a9/0x2206 at 024:002 (Canon CanoScan)>
bLength               18
bDescriptorType       1
bcdUSB                1.00
bDeviceClass          0
bDeviceSubClass       0
bDeviceProtocol       0
bMaxPacketSize0       8
idVendor              0x04A9
idProduct             0x2206
bcdDevice             1.00
iManufacturer         64 (Canon)
iProduct              77 (CanoScan)
iSerialNumber         0 ()
bNumConfigurations    1
  <configuration 0>
  bLength              9
  bDescriptorType      2
  wTotalLength         39
  bNumInterfaces       1
  bConfigurationValue  1
  iConfiguration       0 ()
  bmAttributes         128 ()
  MaxPower             500 mA
   <interface 0>
    <altsetting 0>
    bLength            9
    bDescriptorType    4
    bInterfaceNumber   0
    bAlternateSetting  0
    bNumEndpoints      3
    bInterfaceClass    255
    bInterfaceSubClass 0
    bInterfaceProtocol 255
    iInterface         0 ()
     <endpoint 0>
     bLength           7
     bDescriptorType   5
     bEndpointAddress  0x81 (in 0x01)
     bmAttributes      3 (interrupt)
     wMaxPacketSize    1
     bInterval         16 ms
     bRefresh          0
     bSynchAddress     0
     <endpoint 1>
     bLength           7
     bDescriptorType   5
     bEndpointAddress  0x82 (in 0x02)
     bmAttributes      2 (bulk)
     wMaxPacketSize    64
     bInterval         0 ms
     bRefresh          0
     bSynchAddress     0
     <endpoint 2>
     bLength           7
     bDescriptorType   5
     bEndpointAddress  0x03 (out 0x03)
     bmAttributes      2 (bulk)
     wMaxPacketSize    64
     bInterval         0 ms
     bRefresh          0
     bSynchAddress     0

<trying to find out which USB chip is used>
     checking for GT-6801 ...
     this is not a GT-6801 (bDeviceClass = 0)
     checking for GT-6816 ...
     this is not a GT-6816 (bcdUSB = 0x100)
     checking for MA-1017 ...
     this is not a MA-1017 (bDeviceClass = 0, bInterfaceClass = 255)
     checking for MA-1015 ...
     this is not a MA-1015 (bDeviceClass = 0)
     checking for MA-1509 ...
     this is not a MA-1509 (bDeviceClass = 0)
     checking for LM983[1,2,3] ...
     Couldn't claim interface: usb_claim_interface: couldn't claim
interface
<This USB chip looks like a LM983x?>

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x2206 [CanoScan],
chip=LM983x?) at libusb:024:002
device 0x05ac/0x8005 is not configured
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

   # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
can't be
   # detected by this program.

   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once
you
   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
   # necessary.
done

        //
        \\         Henrik Rintala