[sane-devel] Umax 2200 (USB) failing

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:57:01 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 04:37:42AM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> I just installed Sane 1.0.13 on FreeBSD 5.1.  I have a Umax Astra 2200-US
> scanner (scsi and usb), but only have a USB interface on my workstation.
>
> The OS detects that there's a scanner plugged in:
>
> uscanner0: UMAX Data Systems Astra 2200U Scanner, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2

Last time i looked at FreeBSD, the uscanner driver still didn't
support USB control messages. I don't have this scanner, but our lists
tell us:

Astra 2200 (SU) USB OK, needs USB control messages

It should work if you use libusb (generic USB access) instead of the
uscanner driver. I guess you must tell the uscanner driver not to
detect your scanner. Disabling that driver should work, but maybe
there is a more intelligent method.

SANE itsself must be linked against libusb. This is the deafult if
libusb is found during build.

> First of all, is this an officially supported scanner?  Looking at the
> mailing lists it seems others have it working.

I think so. Well, the lists say it's "SU", not "US".

> And lastly, I also have an iBook running OS-X 10.3.2.  Is this scanner
> known to work under OS-X and Sane (Umax abandoned all support for these
> older models for OS-X)?

The UMAX backend has not been converted to sanei_thread yet and fork()
doesn't work correctly on MacOS X. So you won't have luck with SANE
10.13. But if you look at our bug-tracking system, there is a patch
that may work (untested):

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=300397&group_id=1308&atid=410366

Please tell us about your success/failure on FreeBSD and MacOS X.