[sane-devel] Umax 2200 (USB) failing

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke@gmx.de
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:28:47 +0100

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 04:37:42 -0500 (EST)
Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed Sane 1.0.13 on FreeBSD 5.1.  I have a Umax Astra 2200-US
> scanner (scsi and usb), but only have a USB interface on my workstation.
>
> The OS detects that there's a scanner plugged in:
>
> uscanner0: UMAX Data Systems Astra 2200U Scanner, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
>
> sane-find-scanner also sees something there:
>
> root@green[/usr/local/etc/sane.d]# sane-find-scanner
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
>     that
>   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x1606, product=0x0230) at /dev/uscanner0
>   # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
> However running a test with scanimage (specifying the device/driver
> directly) just hangs.  Enabling debug output shows the following:

Hi Charles,
I operate the same type of scanner. Honestly, scsi interface works better with Linux (sane/xsane) as the USB interface. But due to comfort reasons I operate the scanner connected via USB (easier connect/disconnect) whithout real impact on functionality. The lesson I learned is:
- switch quality calibration off
- use only libusb, I have deleted scanner.o from /lib/modules or did compile the kernel without scanner support for USB at another machine to have connection only via libusb.

Cheers,
Klaus