[sane-devel] Umax 2200 smearing/dangerous options

Charles Sprickman spork@fasttrackmonkey.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:16:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

This will hopefully be the last time I bother the list.  My Umax 2200 is
now basically working, but the scans look pretty bad.  They have what I
could best describe as "banding" or "smearing".  An example from a 300dpi
scan is here (white areas on the left are the scanner lid and show the
pattern rather well - looks like the output of a really bad inkjet
printer):

http://home.manymonkeys.com/out.png  (approx. 1MB png)

I've poked around the archives and don't see much mention of general
quality issues.

Any ideas?  There are plenty of lightly-documented options in the
umax.conf file, and some fairly interesting ones that carry the following
warnings (without further explanation):

# BE CAREFUL WITH THIS OPTION, IT MAY DESTROY YOUR SCANNER WHEN SET FALSE

Of course, I'm itching to try these.

Also, is there a wiki-type thing somewhere where people can share
information about their particular models?  It seems that I stumbled all
over things that just aren't documented on the site, but are common
knowledge once you're on the list for a while (ie: don't use the OS
driver, use libusb, scanner won't work w/o quality control disabled, etc.)

Thanks,

Charles