[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 2400 on RH 9

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Dec 15 19:38:20 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:10:01AM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > The important thing is that the sane-libraries are not in a standard
> > library path of the system.
>
> Okay, it seems that when SANE was originally packaged for Red Hat it
> *was* added to ld.so.conf, so I'll take that out.

Oh, /usr/lib/sane/ in /etc/ld.so.conf is a very bad idea. I'm really
surprised that this hasn't caused more trouble.

If I remember correctly, in distant past it was necessary to add
lib/sane. At least that's what the old warning message in the
sane-frontends INSTALL file told. It's so deprecated that the warning
message itsself was removed long ago :-)

In fact, the INSTALL file may even have been wrong. I can run SANE 0.5
and 1.0.1 without "/usr/(local/)lib/sane" in /etc/ld.so.conf without
problem. So that entry may have never been necessary at all.

By the way: sane-0.5 compiles in 17 seconds (sane-backends CVS:
seconds). That was on March 31 1997, "scanimage" was called "scan" and
"xscanimage"'s name was "xscan" at that time. The following backends
came with sane-0.5: hp net pnm mustek qcam.

By the way2: SANE had its 7th birthday two days ago. The first
official release of SANE (0.3) was on Fri, 13 Dec 1996.