[sane-devel] Sane with Epson GT-6000 as parallel device on Suse Linux 9.

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Dec 20 10:20:31 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm re-arranging the quotes so you can see what I wrote :-)

> Am Freitag, 19. Dezember 2003 21:50 schrieb Henning Meier-Geinitz:
> > On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:06:32PM +0100, harald wrote:
> > > i'm trying to get access to my Epson Scanner GT-6000 over network and on
> > > local machine as regular user. The scanner works as "epson:0x378" as user
> > > root. Have no access as "normal User". Device net.dll
> >
> > net.conf?

> What is wrong with net.conf.

I don't know. I just wanted to point out that it's "Net.conf" and not
"net.dll".

> It is in /etc/sane.d and contains all host that can have
> access to my scanner!?

It should contain the hostname/IP address of the server you want to
connect to. If you just want to scan on localhost, both net.conf and
saned.conf contain "localhost". If your scanner is on "server.doma.in"
and your client on "client.doma.in", net.conf will contain
"server.doma.in" and saned.conf "client.doma.in".

> i knew that i have to start saned as root. It is already been started by root
> via inetd "sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/saned 6566".

That syntax looks wrong. The port number is already defined by the
service name "sane". That's the reason for "sane" being added to
/etc/services.

Try something like this (from man saned):

sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

Please keep in mind that saned is not intended for use over the
internet. So make sure by packet filters or similar messures that
noone from outside can access it.