[sane-devel] Hewllet Packard 4300c Scanner

Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:42:09 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:18:41PM +0100, Yago wrote:
> Hi to all. I have an HP 4300c USB scanner and I know this scanner don't have
> Linux support,

Well, the kernel scanner driver does detect the scanner. So from the
kernel's point of view, it is supported.

> also no SANE support.

There is also a SANE backend (niash), it's just not included in the
standard SANE distribution (yet).

> Through the SANE Home Page links now I know that I need the "SANE backends for
> flatbed scanners with the NIASH chipset" for to work with my scanner. The
> installation of this packet that suppose:
>
> "In order to properly build SANE with the NIASH backend, you should remove any
> previously installed version of SANE and all related packages (thanks to
> Harman Nagra for pointing this out)".

The reason for this is that installing sane-backends twice at
different locations may cause trouble. You can do that, but the
following problem will occur: scanimage will work, if you use the
version from /usr/local/bin. But xsane/xscanimage or any other
frontend from your distribution will use the old sane-backends and so
won't find your scanner.

> But if I want to remove my SANE packet (is the sane-backends-1.0.9-3.1mdk and
> sane-frontends-1.0.9-1.1mdk) I need to remove also this software:
>
> libsane1-1.0.9-3.1mdk
> libsane-devel-1.0.9-3.1mdk
> xsane-0.90-1.1mdk
> xsane-gimp-0.90-1.1mdk

Sounds somewhat sane :-). You could just remove libsane* and ignore
the dependencies. Your packet manager will most likely annoy you every
time you install software later, however.

> And the dependencies that suppose remove also:
>
> kdegraphics-3.0.3-11mdk
> kdegraphics-devel-3.0.3-11mdk
> kdevelop-2.1.3-6mdk
> koffice-1.2-3mdk
> koffice-devel-1.2-3mdk
> koffice-i18n-es-1.2-1mdk

Well, if I made packages like koffice or kde*, I wouldn't do that :-)

Ask your distributor if they have sane-backends packages including the
niash backend or at least a package containing only the niash backend.

If they don't provide such packages, you could try to make one
yourself, if you have a little experience with RPM. Or try one of
these tricks/hacks:

- Overwrite the old sane-backends installation by specifying arguments
  to configure (e.g. --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc). Check where
  your distribution's files are. That's ugly and may cause trouble
  when removing the distribution's sane packages later or when
  upgrading.
- Install your new sane-backends as usual and trick xsane into loading
  the libraries from /usr/local/lib.
  "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libsane.so xsane" may do the trick.
- Create a dummy sane-backends RPM package that just claims to provide
  sane-backends. So you can install your own version.

All these tricks are rather ugly hacks. If you want to stay with your
package system, you'd better get RPMs.

> I have a Mandrake 9.0 distro with 2.4.19 Kernel version with the USB module
> charged at init (UHCI) and the sane-find-scanner returns that:
>
> # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
> # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at /dev/usb/scanner0
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at /dev/usbscanner
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at /dev/usbscanner0
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0305
> [Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4300C]) at libusb:001:002

Looks fine. Both the kernel scanner driver and libusb have found the
scanner.