[sane-devel] Hewllet Packard 4300c Scanner

scott fagg scottf@bigpond.net.au
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 06:45:51 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Yago wrote:

> Hi to all. I have an HP 4300c USB scanner and I know this scanner don't have
> Linux support, also no SANE support.
>
> Through the SANE Home Page links now I know that I need the "SANE backends for
> flatbed scanners with the NIASH chipset" for to work with my scanner. The
> installation of this packet that suppose:
>
> "In order to properly build SANE with the NIASH backend, you should remove any
> previously installed version of SANE and all related packages (thanks to
> Harman Nagra for pointing this out)".
>
> But if I want to remove my SANE packet (is the sane-backends-1.0.9-3.1mdk and
> sane-frontends-1.0.9-1.1mdk) I need to remove also this software:
>
> libsane1-1.0.9-3.1mdk
> libsane-devel-1.0.9-3.1mdk
> xsane-0.90-1.1mdk
> xsane-gimp-0.90-1.1mdk
>
> And the dependencies that suppose remove also:
>
> kdegraphics-3.0.3-11mdk
> kdegraphics-devel-3.0.3-11mdk
> kdevelop-2.1.3-6mdk
> koffice-1.2-3mdk
> koffice-devel-1.2-3mdk
> koffice-i18n-es-1.2-1mdk
>
> So I don't know if after to delete all this software I will to use KDE,
> Koffice and some any other aplications with liasions with that ones.

I'm using RH8.0 which ships with older sane/xsane files.

I removed the sane*rpm and xsane*rpms but did not remove other RPMs that
relied on them ( rpm -e --nodeps --force ) and then installed the newer
sane/xsane stuff from source.

kdegraphics and so on complain about the removal of sane* because they
rely on libsane.so. Re-installing sane from source satisfies that
reliance.