[sane-devel] avision: Out of memory (was: scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory)

Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:50:24 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:29:04AM +0100, Patrick Begou wrote:
> $ sane-find-scanner
> found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at /dev/scanner
> found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at /dev/sg2
> found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at /dev/sgc

Looks fine.

> >The hpusbscsi kernel module is loaded?
>
> I haven't this module in my kernel sources. Should I upgrade my kernel ?
> Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma) with Kernel 2.4.7-10 on an i686
> (standart distribution kernel).

Without that module, you wouldn't "see" your scanner as a SCSI scanner.

> These are the current modules loaded:
>
> hp5300                 16240   0

Looks like this one is the hpusbscsi module. Maybe an early version? I
don't think hpusbscsi was included in 2.4.10, so that's probably a
RedHat extension.

> > If it's detected by sane-find-scanner correctly, try setting the debug
> > varaibaled: export SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=255. Maybe you can find out
> > about the source of the problem.
>
> I did this also. All seems to work fine  until get_calib_format wich
> returns Out of Memory (see attached file).
> I have 256 MBytes RAM and 128 Mbytes of (unused) swap but I dont't think
> the problem is here. Something that the driver could not understand with
> my software configuration ?

> [avision] get_calib_data: type 62, size 167076, line_size: 167076
> [avision] get_calib_data: read data failed (Out of memory)

The backend tries to get 167076 bytes of data at once. Tht doesn't
seem to work with the hp5300 driver (or your kernel). I think the
default buffer size is 128k.

You could try to update your kernel to a recener version but I don't
know if that really has an effect.

Otherwise it's a problem with the avision backend, so maybe the
avision maintainer Rene Rebe <rene.rebe@gmx.net> can help.