[sane-devel] Why does xsane-gimp exist ?

Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:58:26 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:58:55PM +0000, John Vickers wrote:
> According to: http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-gimp-doc.html
> xsane can be used directly as a gimp plugin.  So what is xsane-gimp for ?
> (I guess some kind of bug workarround).

There is no xsane-gimp source package. xsane source detects if the
gimp libraries are installed and enables gimp support in this case. So
there is only one source code.

The distributors usually create two or more binary packages because
otherwise you'd need to install gimp as a dependency of xsane. As gimp
is a rather big package, this may not make sense for everyone. So
there is one package with and one without gimp support.