[sane-devel] pthreads for MacOSX (instead of child process)

Beat Birkhofer beat.birkhofer@ilw.agrl.ethz.ch
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:37:11 +0100

>Why should we support their
>operating system, when they don't bother to port for example quicktime
>players to Linux, *BSD or some other Unix variant?

Apple has a 'Image Capture Architecture' (ICA)
<http://developer.apple.com/sdk/#ImageCapture> for digital cameras
and scanners. I haven't looked at it in detail but I think sane could
be used as scanner module to make scanners available to the OS and
thus all client apps that use the ICA (no need for X11 apps).

Scanner support for OSX is still not really good (few vendors, often
crappy software).

I'll have a look at the daemon/socket stuff. But I think other
solutions (pthread, no-fork) introduce less platform dependent code.

Regards

Beat H.