[sane-devel] scanning 'semi-thick' slides in sane ?

Paul Boddie paul@boddie.org.uk
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 07:33:58 -0800

Hello,

I was following this thread in the archives, and then I just had to subscribe to get some opinions on a sort-of-related issue with the Epson scanners, or at least the Epson Perfection 2400 Photo.

First of all, though, I'd like to thank those people behind SANE and XSane for their excellent work. After remembering that I had to load the scanner module on my Red Hat Linux 7.3 system, it all worked without any further effort on my part - I'm using the scanner via an Adaptec USB2connect PCMCIA card. Compared to the Epson software, XSane does much more of what I want, since it appears to give me better control over the colour balance, but if any of the Epson people read this list, I'd like to encourage them to improve their own software, too. (The best hint I found on colour calibration, by the way, was to use the "header" of a negative film to calibrate the "black" and "white" values.)

As far as scanning negatives and slides, my biggest problem (aside from dust, of course) is that the negative adapter for the Perfection 2400 can seem to let light in at the ends, since the negative strips have a tendency to bend upwards in the middle. Does anyone know of a decent solution to this (short of getting onto Epson about it)? I suppose it doesn't help that all the films I seem to have (in UK, France, Norway) seem to have strips of four images, rather than the strips of six that the negative adapters were designed for.

Regards,

Paul

Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/