[sane-devel] Brother MFC 6800

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:38:48 +0100

Fernando Trias wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've got a Brother MFC 6800 multi-function printer/scanner/fax and plan
> to do some work on the scanning backend of sane. I already got
> information from Dmitri Katchalov, who has done a lot of work to
> decipher the proprietary protocol.
>
> I have one question (so far):
>
> The USB device provides three interfaces. The first one is the printer
> and the second one is the scanner.
>
> However, I'm having problems with sane even looking at the device.
> Perhaps I'm misreading the code, but it seems that there are a few
> problems for this device.
>
> First, in sanei_usb_init(), the part that enumerates USB devices with
> libusb only looks at the first interface, which in the case of this
> device is the printer (class 7, USB_CLASS_PRINTER), whereas the scanner
> is on interface 2 and is class 0xff (USB_CLASS_VENDOR_SPECIFIC).
>
> Perhaps sane could enumerate the interfaces and test each one?
>
> Second, kernel_get_vendor_product() is unable to get the Vendor and
> Product ids. The calls to ioctl() all fail. So even if I create a link
> in /dev/usb/scanner (or whatever), I can't get it identified.
>
> Any ideas?

Try kernel 2.4.21, on the new Epson MF devices (Stylus CX3200/CX5200)
there was also the problem that oinly the first device was recognized.
This is solved in kernel 2.4.21. See also

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_CX3200
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_CX5200

> Another question: is there any consumer-oriented multi-function
> printer/scanner/fax that is supported by sane?

All current HPs (PSC, OfficeJet, LaserJet) and Epson (Stylus
CX3200/CX5200) are supported in terms of printing, scanning, and photo
card access. PC-assisted fax is not supported yet, but it is worked on
it. See

http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Epson
http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP
http://hpoj.sf.net/