[sane-devel] Xsane Win32 and adf

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:40:05 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:50:28PM +0100, Holger Drefs wrote:
> HMG> You could try scanimage (command line client) on the server. If that
> HMG> works, try to run it "over localhost", i.e.:
> HMG> scanimage -d net:localhost:hp:/dev/scanner >image.pnm (add the
> HMG> appropriate options). scanimage has also options for batch scanning.
>
> This works somehow perfect, except that I cannot give a format size like
> A4 to scan. ItŽs fast, quiet and reliable.

"scanimage -d net:localhost:hp:/dev/scanner >image.pnm" also works?

> HMG> If the first one fails, it's a hp backend problem. If the second one
> HMG> fails it's either a backend, net or saned problem. If both work, it
> HMG> may be an xsane problem.
>
> I would say this is an XSane problem, because scanimage works perfect.
> ArenŽt there more hints to the problem?

scanimage's and xsane's usage of the backends is a bit different so it may
be a combination of hp and net/saned problems, also.

> >> hm, I should use a Linux as well.
>
> HMG> If you ca, that would at least show if the problem is xsane/win
> HMG> specific.
>
> I hope to set up some linux machine soon to test XSane on Linux and
> whatŽs the behaviour like.

When you do this also test other X frontends like xscanimage and
quiteinsane. If those work but not xsane, it's xsane's fault. If
everything works on Linux but not on Windows there is probably a bug
somewhere in the port of xsane or the net backend.