[sane-devel] HP5470c scanner nearly working!

Martijn van Oosterhout Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:30:22 +1100

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH

Yeah, I saw the project but there did not seem to be anything happening.
However, the hp5400-20021018.tar.gz did form the basis for my program.

Thanks for your report of success. Seems only the version numbers are sligh=
tly
different.

Anyway, I've decoded the images and it now saves them to disk as PPM files.
If you scan anything with a lot of white you can see that the calibration
(and gamma correction) definitly needs some work. I have some theories about
how to get the figures but I havn't done it yet. Interestingly, the full
preview image includes a section which is within the case itself. Looks like
some test areas and other odd stuff going on there. I've put the image up
here: http://svana.org/kleptog/hp5470/output.png (1MB).

I've not used sourceforge much, so I'm not quite sure what that entails.
What I would like is information on how to write a SANE backend. I've
downloaded the source but there does not seem to be any kind of skeleton or
documentation on how to write a backend. What I've got is easily good enough
to pass for "beta" in a SANE backend.

Anyway, I've put a new version up on my site
(http://svana.org/kleptog/hp5470/). Let me know if the images come out OK.
My xview is having problems showing 48bpp PPM images so you may have to
convert them to PNG to make them viewable.

Let me know how it goes.