[sane-devel] Restarting scanner

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:37:59 +0100

Hi,

I'm copying this answer to sane-devel because I guess that's what you
intended to do anyway :-)

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 03:22:42PM +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > Which version of sane-backends (scanimage --version)?
> Not sure how to get that info but this is the version of Xsane that I
> downloaded from Debian.org: xsane 0.90-3

The version of xsane isn't important. The version of the backends
(drivers) is interesting. I pointed you to how to get it in brackets
(scanimage --version). You could also use apt-cache show libsane for
Debian.

Maybe scanimage and sane-find-scanner isn't installed? apt-get install
sane-utils

> > I guess after unplugging you plug-in the scanner again? :-) Is it
> > found by the system? I.e. does cat /proc/bus/usb/devices list it?
> Yes

Please show us this entry. Does it have a line I: ... driver=usbscanner?

> > Is it found by sane-find-scanner?

Is it? Please show us the output of sane-find-scanner -q .

> > What is printed in syslog
> > (/var/log/messages) when the scanner is unplugged and plugged in
> > again?
> Feb 22 15:12:39 nigels_box kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 4
> Feb 22 15:12:53 nigels_box kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2, assigned device number 5
> Feb 22 15:12:56 nigels_box /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup scanner for USB product 4a5/20b0/120

Oh, you are using hotplug. Looks like your scanner was detected.

> Feb 22 15:14:05 nigels_box kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable to access minor data

These messages are from running xsane, aren't they? As open_scanner(0)
doesn't show up, it looks like your scanner was detected successfully
by the kernel scanner driver. You should see it in sane-find-scanner.

> (repeated about 10 times)

This will go away once you update to Linux 2.4.21-pre4 or newer :-)

> I'm not sure why but it seems to have sorted itself out. I tried
> disconnecting the power, then waiting about 30 secs before plugging the
> power back in. I then waited for the scanner to *light-up* and *make some
> noises*, I then tried xsane and everything worked ok??? I did the same for
> the USB cable and the same results???

Maybe the scanner needs some time for doing it's internal reset before
it responds to commands. Some SCSI scanners behave like this.