[sane-devel] Problem installing new HP5400 backend

Rob Male remale@optusnet.com.au
28 Feb 2003 16:15:24 +1000

Hello,
I have been trying to install the new HP5400 backend for my HP5470c on
Redhat8.0. (but with no luck)

I downloaded and installed sane-backends-1.0.11 and sane-find-scanner
recognizes the scanner, however scanimage -L reports "No scanners were
identified"

I downloaded the HP5400 backend and modified the paths in the Makefile
before doing a make install.
I made no changes to the hp5400.conf file

sane-find-scanner returns:-
"found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x1105) at /dev/usb/scanner0
  # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage."

cat on /proc/bus/usb/devices   returns:-
P:  Vendor=03f0 ProdID=1105 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packard
S:  Product=HP Scanjet 5400C Series

I added the following line to  /etc/rc.d/rc.local
modprobe scanner vendor=0x03f0 product=0x1105

/usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf has only 2 lines:-
/dev/usb/scanner0
option connect-device

Any suggestion on what to do now would be greatly appreciated as I have
no idea where to start.

Regards Rob Male