[sane-devel] Problem in setting up Xsane (problem half solved)

Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:09:48 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:55:06PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> >- snip -
> >Does sane-find-scanner find your scanner? Does it find it if you run
> >as user? If it only works as root, you must set up permissions for the
> >SCSI devices. See man sane-scsi and search for "permission".
>
> I hesitate to proceed as "root" because a warning popup.

If you do what I write there is no warning popup. I didn't say you
should do your usual scanning as root. Just the detection to find out
what's going on.

> Sorry what 'permission' you are referring to?  I could not find it on
> man sane-scsi

The permissions of the scsi devices (e.g. /dev/sg0). They must be set
up so the user can access them. Is this really not in your man page?
Aynway, it doesn't matter as the permissions semm to be set up
correctly:

> as user
> # sane-find-scanner

> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner "AGFA SNAPSCAN 310 1.90" at device /dev/sg1

Fine, there it is. So there is no need to run as root.

> >If it's not found, show us the output of
> >
> >SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -L
>
> # sane_debug_snapscan=255 scanimage -L

No, please do exactly what I wrote. Hint: capital letters. Use
copy&paste to make sure that you don't make any mistakes.

If this doesn't produce any debug output, check that "snapscan" (in
this exact spelling) is in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.