[sane-devel] Problem in setting up Xsane (problem half solved)

Dr. Jones Dr. Jones" <drjones@vii.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:57:44 -0700

As a matter of update and additional information, here's what I find when I
checked on my SCSI adapter.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi produced the following output:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: SONY    Model: CDU5211 Rev: yys2
Type: cd-rom         revision: 02    ANSI SCSI

Please bear in mind that my system's CD Rom drive is indeed a Sony model,
52x, but it is connect to the motherboard with a simple ribbon cabble to a
connector right next to the RAM slots. I called my system manufacturer and
was assured that my system has a CD ROM with IDE interface. For reasons
unknown to me, and perhaps very clear to some of you, my cd rom is somehow
being associated with the SCSI card I have installed in my system for my
scanner.

Here's information from the card itself:

SBC -2AA 94v-0
fcc id cmc 2502
27-95 rev b c2502-66500
3529
532 4HEGCPF

1) This is a mailing list. I'm not the only one who answers. Please do
   not direct mails to me. If I can, I will answer. But most of the
   time there are other developers or users who are qualified better.
2) Start a new thread when you don't respond to an existing message.
   If you want to ask about a different topic, do not reply to an existing
   message but write a new one. I nearly missed your message because
   it was inside this thread.

Fair enough, Henning. I wouldn't want to answer everyone's questions
directly either.

> I am having trouble getting sane and xsane set up on my system. I
> have an HP ScanJet 4c with the symbios SCSI card. It worked fine
> under windows and I notice in the sane docs that it should work with
> linux.

> My problems may lie in the initial set up of sane, xsane and
> sane-frontends in my debian linux system.

>> For most scanners, it's not necessary to set up any part of SANE at all.

I am running debian and have run apt-get install xsane as well as apt-get
install sane. Yeah, likely redundant, but damn...I am just trying to get
this scanner working.

> I read that I could run 'sane-find-scanner' and yet even after
> reinstalling sane and xsane, I could not run that command.

>> You mean that that file is not found? So you didn't install it. Which
version of SANE do you use? In very old versions sane-find-scanner was
not installed.

Yes, I mean if I run 'locate sane-find-scanner' nothing is returned except
the prompt. How do I get that installed?

> If I run 'locate sane' I get a host of directories where various sane
> files and folders exist. I am wishing I could purge everything
> related to sane from my system and then start afresh with a clean new
> setup of sane.

>>As for your scanner: First load the SCSI driver for your symbios scsi
card and make sure it is detected (cat /proc/scsi/scsi).

In loading my driver..where are suggesting I would find the driver files?

Scott