[sane-devel] Problem in setting up Xsane (problem half solved)

Sat, 1 Mar 2003 00:35:43 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:57:44PM -0700, Dr. Jones wrote:
> As a matter of update and additional information, here's what I find when I
> checked on my SCSI adapter.
>
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi produced the following output:
>
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> Vendor: SONY    Model: CDU5211 Rev: yys2
> Type: cd-rom         revision: 02    ANSI SCSI
>
> Please bear in mind that my system's CD Rom drive is indeed a Sony model,
> 52x, but it is connect to the motherboard with a simple ribbon cabble to a
> connector right next to the RAM slots. I called my system manufacturer and
> was assured that my system has a CD ROM with IDE interface. For reasons
> unknown to me, and perhaps very clear to some of you, my cd rom is somehow
> being associated with the SCSI card I have installed in my system for my
> scanner.

It's called "idescsi". A SCSI simulation usually used for CD writers.
So that's ok. With earlier kernel versions there was some trouble with
this emulation so you may want to remove it at least for testing
(rmmod idescsi).

> Here's information from the card itself:
>
> SBC -2AA 94v-0
> fcc id cmc 2502
> 27-95 rev b c2502-66500
> 3529
> 532 4HEGCPF

> I am running debian and have run apt-get install xsane as well as apt-get
> install sane. Yeah, likely redundant, but damn...I am just trying to get
> this scanner working.

Have a look ath the packages's descriptions. xsane is a frontend
(application) and the package "sane" includes some other frontends
(xscanimage, xcam and scanadf). The backends (drivers) are in the
package "libsane" which was probably installed by dependency.
sane-find-scanner and scanimage are in package "sane-utils".

> >>As for your scanner: First load the SCSI driver for your symbios scsi
> card and make sure it is detected (cat /proc/scsi/scsi).
>
> In loading my driver..where are suggesting I would find the driver files?

In the directory where you store your modules for your ckernel.
Something like /lib/modules/[version]/kernel/drivers/scsi .

Sorry, I don't know which driver is for your card. Search the net
and/or the hp backend homepage.