[sane-devel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:42:00 -0500

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:53:06PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
[ ... ]
> Ok, I can try another computer, I guess.  I tried Knoppix CD just now and
> I got the same I/O errors.  I'd rather buy a new scanner than install
> Windows on my desktop machine ;)  I have used this scanner on Windows in
> the past, without problem -- but just not on this machine.  It's a MSI
> K7T266 Pro2 motherboard.  Maybe I could throw in a new hard disk and
> install Windows.
>=20
> It would be too bad if it's a motherboard.  Seems unlikely, though.

The motherboard description (K7T266 Pro2) sounds like it's a fairly old
board. It's possible that it indeed is a motherboard (or to be more
accurate, a USB controller) problem. The first generation of USB
interfaces often don't play nicely with the Linux driver (or is it
the other way around?). Do you have access to a USB card that you
can put into this computer?

One other problem I've encountered a number of times that shows
similar symptoms is a bad USB cable.=20

Karl Heinz

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net