[sane-devel] Genius HR7X

Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:46:51 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 06:12:07AM -0500, frares@netscape.net wrote:
> Could you or anyone in this list (I know it is off topic, but I think
> it is a good place to ask this) point me to some resources on the
> net, including some sane related, where I could find how to do more
> serious programming?  I would love to contribuite with this driver,
> for example.

The problem with scanner drivers is usually to get the information on
how the scanners work. Most drivers aren't that complicated, so you
usually don't need to be a great programmer. Basically, you send some
data to the scanner and check if the result is what you expected.

If you can't get documentation (or the Windows driver source code)
from the scanner or chipset manufacturer, you can try to capture the
communication done by the windows driver. See
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html for some ways to do
that.

Concerning programming SANE backends, see doc/backend-writing.txt for
some hints.