[sane-devel] configuration headaches on Mandrake 9.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
10 Jan 2003 15:31:36 +0900

Hi all,

I've noticed that my hand-edited /etc/sane.d/epson.conf on a Mandrake
9.0 system may get truncated over a reboot.  Similar symptoms (empty
configuration file that is) have been reported in

 http://www.mostang.com/pipermail/sane-devel/2002-November/005006.html

if I understand correctly.

I have absolutely no trouble scanning with SCSI and USB EPSON scanners
when my /etc/sane.d/epson.conf reads:

  scsi EPSON
  usb /dev/usb/scanner0

The problem is that this file (and as far as I've been able to check,
only this file) may(!) get truncated over a reboot.  It's as if some
place an `> /etc/sane.d/epson.conf` is executed.  I've tried editing
several other configuration files, but so far these have survived all
reboots (as did my epson.conf, so far for reproducability :-()

I suspect that (one of) the Mandrake configuration tool(s), notably
scannerDrake, is not playing nice.  Does anyone have a clue?

I seriously dislike something zapping my hand-crafted configuation
files!
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2