[sane-devel] scanimage cannot open any backends: weird error message

fis@gmx.li fis@gmx.li
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:48:25 +0100

[First, let me say that I am impressed.  Sane is insanely cool.  Thanks!! :-)

Hi all,

I have just installed sane-1.0.9 and am encountering the following
situation:

> # sane-find-scanner
> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x05d8, product = 0x4003) at device /dev/usb/scanner0

(this is probably good.)

> # scanimage -v -d test -T
> scanimage: open of device test failed: Invalid argument

(this is probably bad.)

I should add that I added the tevion9693usb backend from
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/crapsite/, which is alpha, but I acted
precisely as told in the instructions and if I am correct this backend
is not even touched in what I am doing.  (For 'scanimage -d
tevion9693usb' the symptoms are the same, however.)

I am using the scanner kernel module in version 2.4.18.  I haven't
done anything about the device node permissions, but I am doing
everything as root.

Anything else you need to know?  If you are curious enough I am happy
to meet in IRC in the next few hours.  (Btw, irc.openprojects.net
complains on connect that it's not called like that any more, maybe
somebody wants to update that on http://www.mostang.com/sane/mail.html.)

And now I will keep on searching.

greetings,
Matthias