[sane-devel] [ANN] Plustek Backend update V0.45-1

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:59:33 +0100

Hi Till,

On Saturday, 11. January 2003 19:12, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Thgank you for the update. I am preparing an official update for
> Mandrake Linux 9.0 now, to preven the Epson 1260 Photo scanners of
> Mandrake 9.0 users from being damaged.
>
> I have tested your update with my Epson Perfection 1260 Photo (it
> survived the driver version shipped with SANE 1.0.9 without needing to
> turn it off) and it works well.

Puhh - thank god!

>Only problem is the model
> auto-detection. It is way too slow. I have a tip to make it faster:
>
> When you run "sane-find-scanner", it needs about a second after failing
> with the SCSI search to find the scanner's USB ID's. And if I mention
> the USB ID's directly in plustek.conf, xsane needs about a second to
> start. So I recommend that you let the auto-detection part of the
> plustek driver call the library function which "sane-find-scanner" uses
> to determine the USB ID. Then the driver can probe this ID directly and
> so it gets access to the scanner in two seconds instead of two minutes.
>
> WDYT?
>
>     Till

Hmmm, I didn't get this one! If you still provide only the device name,
then the startup behaviour should be the same as before (1.0.9)
the only thing I changed here is the autodetection of the device name,
to support the libusb stuff. It's not clear to me, why it takes so long
for autodetection... Even when I use the libusb, it's not that slow here:
cfg example:
[usb]
device auto
Okay I have no SCSI subsystem! But as told before when using
[usb]
device /dev/usbscanner
then you should have the same behaviour as before.

Gerhard