[sane-devel] Feature freeze for SANE 1.0.10

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:23:32 -0500 (EST)

Gene Heskett said:
> On Monday 13 January 2003 03:38, Klaas Freitag wrote:
>>On Sunday 12 January 2003 22:10, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are now in feature freeze for SANE 1.0.10. That means, no
>>> more features are allowed to be included in CVS. Bug fixes and
>>> documentation updates are allowed, however.
>>>
>>> Further time table:
>>> 2003-01-25: Code freeze
>>> 2003-02-01: Release
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was notified that Epson released a new frontend, Image Scan! for
>> linux. It is limited to Epson devices. The source code
>> distribution contains a epson.c and dll-code. Is that the same as that
>> in SANE 1.0.10?

The backend in IScan is a heavily modified 1.0.5 version of the EPSON
backends. Some of the changes in the official backend went into the IScan
backend, but it's based on a fairly old version.

> No.  Thats for driving the USB based 1250u and 1260u, and possibly  one
> or 2 others.  I use it here, albeit in a roundabout way. the

The IScan backend supports pretty much all EPSON scanners (with the
exception of the Perfection 660, which is a new scanner only sold in
Europe, and the Perfection 600, which is supported by one of the
other Sane backends).

[ ... ]

> The epson code in the sane-backends package is AFAIK, for the
> parallel port or possibly scsi port epsons, but thats a wild guess  on
> my part, I've never tried to use it here.

That's a pretty wild guess... The official EPSON backend supports all
EPSON scanners with the exception of the Perfection 600/650/1250/1260.
Some of
the older par-port scanners may also not work, but at least their command
language is supported :-)

Karl Heinz