Fwd: Re: [sane-devel] Film scanning

Barry Kirsten bjkirsten@bigpond.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:42:10 +1100

Hi everyone,

I'm forwarding this because the original is being held up in the moderation
process because its size exceeds 40KB. I've removed the debug.txt file
because I don't think it finished due to a segmentation fault. I'm wondering
if this might be the cause of the problem? If you can tell me specifically
what abnormalities to look for in the debug.txt I can send the appropriate
section to you. Thanks again,
Barry

Subject: Re: [sane-devel] Film scanning
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:42:48 +1100
From: Barry Kirsten <bjkirsten@bigpond.com>
To: Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de>, sane-devel
<sane-devel@mostang.com>

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:08, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:22:31AM +1100, Barry Kirsten wrote:
> > Hi Mitsuru, Thanks for your reply.
>
> not me :-)

Sorry, I thought I was sending a copy to the list.

> > Here is the debug text:
> >
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> >
> > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>
> You are trying to start an X application as a different user than the
> one who started the X server? I guess you try to run xsane as root?
> That's not a SANE problem, the same will happen with all X applications.
>
> To allow all users to access your display, use "xhost +localhost".

Thanks, I was trying to start xsane as root when X was started as user. I
didn't quite get it before.

> To get the debug log, you need to export the variables, if you use
> bash. E.g.:
>
> export SANE_DEBUG_CANON=128
> export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=128
> xsane 2> debug.txt

Now here is the _real_ debug.txt which may not be complete since there was a
segmentation fault reported at the terminal (no other terminal output):

<debug.txt removed>