[sane-devel] Coolscan2 IR channel problem

tegbert tegbert@abl.med.utah.edu
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:00:38 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Major A wrote:

> > > I'm having a problem with my Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED in getting scanimage
> > > to do its second scan of IR data.  I'm using sane version 1.0.9 and with
> > > this command line:
> > >
> > >    scanimage -d coolscan2:scsi:/dev/sg1 --infrared=yes --batch-count=2
> > >
> > > The scan table doesn't move.  I get two files, with the second file being
> > > about one-third the size of the first one and containing gray-scale data,
> > > which is OK.  Unfortunately, the data in both files are just made up of
> > > vertical lines, presumably because the scan table doesn't move.
> >
> > Just guessing, does the following work?
> >
> > scanimage -d coolscan2:scsi:/dev/sg1 >image.pnm
> > scanimage -d coolscan2:scsi:/dev/sg1 --infrared=yes >ir.pnm
>
> Ah, didn't realize the original email one went to the list...
>
> No, this won't work because the coolscan2 backend stores the IR
> information in memory and only dumps it when you scan a second
> time. This can only work if both scans are done within the same
> instance of the backend running.
>
> The problem here must be something weird because I've done scans like
> that and it worked (although it's on an older scanner).
>
>   Andras

Sorry I can't provide additional information at this time because I'm out
of town and away from my computer/scanner until next Tuesday.  Then I'd
like to continue this thread and find out what's wrong.

Tim Egbert