[sane-devel] Concurrent USB scan acquisition

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:23:08 +0100

Hi,

CC'ed to sane-devel

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:52:30PM -0800, Derek Chiles wrote:
> For now I believe I will only be using the Avision backend.

As far as I know, the Avision backend doesn't support any USB scanners
directly but uses Oliver Neukum's HP-USB-SCSI kernel module. The
backend itsselfs seems to be able to handle multiple scanners, but as
I don't have any of those scanners, it's only a guess. Concerning the
HP-USB-SCSI kernel driver, maybe the backend author or Oliver Neukum
can comment on that one. From a quick look at the code, multiple
scanners seem to be possible.

> Also, what's the criteria for a backend supporting multiple scanners?

Usually it's sufficient if the backend is able to read and detect
multiple scaners mentioned in the config file and putting them in a
list  in the backend. Not too complicated.