[sane-devel] Canon Lide30: success!

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:49:49 +0100

Hi,

not being the plustek maintainer but responding anyway:

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:53:08PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> * why isn't plustek-sane part of sane? Wouldn't this make things much easier
> for all owners of a canon (and other) scanner?

Wrong question :-) The Plustek backend is included in SANE. You may
need the updates from the plustek backend page if you have an older
version of the source code, however. With sane-backends-1.0.10-pre3
you should be uptodate.

> (I think it's also time to close down the ucanoscan project on sourceforge,
> if anyone of that project is listening - it's very confusing to first find
> this stuff, which is in very alpha state, to only later find out that the
> plustek driver handles Canon scanners just fine... But well if becomes part
> of sane out of the box, then people won't have to worry about that.)

There are 5 or 6 projects for NS LM983x based scanners. I've removed
all of them from the SANE projects file and only added the
canonscanner project to the lists because it provides support for the
1210 (at least for FreeBSD) which doesn't seem to be supported by any
backend.

When removing the links, I've asked all of the website owners about
their opinions and all responses I got were: it's obsolete, using
plustek is ok. But two didn't respond.

So maybe you can ask the website authors of this page to at least add
a link/comment about the plustek backend?