[sane-devel] Problems getting SANE to recognise an HP ScanJet 5P

Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:18:00 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:35:32PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Background info:
> *. Custom UltraSPARC IIi based machine running Debian 3.0

Updated SANE packages for Woody are here:
http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/sane.html

> *. SCSI bus and cable definately works
> *. Scanner worked last time it was used (a little while back) and can be
> made to play music in test mode.

It worked with the same configuration (sane version etc.)?

> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3701
>   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Looks ok for me. Nothing else in this file?

> [martin@raphael martin]$ cat /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
> scsi HP
> /dev/scanner

Should be ok, too. You could also add /dev/sg?, but that shouldn't be
necessary. With ? beeing the correct number for the sg device of your
scanner.

> raphael:/u/martin# scanimage --device-name=hp:/dev/sgc
> scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/sgc failed: Invalid argument
> raphael:/u/martin# scanimage --device-name=hp:/dev/sg2
> scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/sg2 failed: Invalid argument
> raphael:/u/martin# scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,

> sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/scanner... open ok
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/scanner

You have linked a disk to /dev/scanner, not the scanner. At least
that's what sane-find-scanner thinks.

> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg0... open ok
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg0
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg1... open ok
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg1
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg2... open ok
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg2
> <snip>

Same here. On which sg device is the scanner ("processor") found?

For me, that looks like a problem with the SCSI subsystem.

> Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find more info or what I
> might be doing wrong?

SANE thinks you are trying to scan from a SCSI disk. Can you show us
the complete output of /proc/scsi/scsi and "sane-find-scanner -v -v"?