[sane-devel] Problems getting SANE to recognise an HP ScanJet 5P

Martin inkubus@interalpha.co.uk
03 Jul 2003 12:32:28 +0100

> > Hi,
> >   Having real problems getting SANE to recognise my ScanJet 5P and
> > someone on our local LUG suggested asking here.
<snip>
> > Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find more info or what I
> > might be doing wrong?
>
> Check also /dev/sg2, see SANE FAQ
Have scanned (ha ha) it and the only thing that seems out of order is
scsiinfo /dev/sg2 returns no info

raphael:/u/martin# scsiinfo -e /dev/sg2

Unable to read Read-Write Error Recovery Page 01h

Beginning to suspect a SCSI problem.  I'll try the scanner on another
machine when I get a chance.

> chmod 666 /dev/sg2
Initially it was:

[martin@raphael martin]$ ls -la /dev/sg2
crw-------    1 root     root      21,   2 Mar 15  2002 /dev/sg2

I originally performed all the attempts to scan as root so that
permissions wouldn't be a problem.  After chmod 666 I get identical
results to the ones originally quoted.

Cheers,
 - Martin

--