[sane-devel] Access to the ressource has been denied

Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:30:36 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 11:13:56AM +0000, franb@ibelgique.com wrote:
> I'm getting this message whenever I try use my
> scanner (it's a Primax colorado Direct 300).

So you are using the external primax backend?

> It's getting listed without any problems by scanimage -L, but when I
> try for instance scanimage --lamp-on, I'm getting sane_start:access
> to the resource has been denied.

Usually you get debug messages by setting SANE_DEBUG_BACKENDNAME, so
in your case try

SANE_DEBUG_PRIMAX=255 scanimage --lamp-on

> It's the same when I try to connect via a frontend
> (xscanimage,xsane). The frontend starts, it
> recognises the scanner but when I click preview or
> lamp-on, I get always the same message error.
> I've never had this problem before on a Mandrake 8.2
> or 9.0. It's only since I've upgraded to 9.1 that
> this happens.

What has changed between these versions? Kernel and/or the version of
the primax backend?

> Connnecting via saned changes nothing.
> Off course I tried to connect as root, to chmod 777
> on /dev/lp0,

That's the device for the printer, not the parallel port.

> to setowner and group to root in
> saned.conf

You can't set any oweners or groups in saned.conf.

> and to set all the permissions in the
> net.conf and dll.conf files to localhost.

Huh? You can't set any permissions in these files.

> If someone could help, or even give a hint, I would
> be very thankful.

Maybe the backend doesn't like that you have the ppdev module loaded?