[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 610P on Debian Woody

ahg@servidor.unam.mx ahg@servidor.unam.mx
Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:56:01 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I'm writing to ask what's the best way (if there is a way) to use a UMAX Astra
610P scanner with Debian Woody.

This device is listed as "don't work (yet)" at
http://panda.mostang.com/sane/sane-mfgs.html#UMAX

I guess I'm hoping that "don't work" might be a bit out of date and that there's
_some_ way to make it work "now".

I could...

...install sane the latest SANE binaries as described at
http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/sane.html

...or

...get an unstable source of sane-umax_pp

...or

...anything else you might recommend.

I don't mind if there are a few hoops to jump through to get this working.
However, the box and the scanner aren't mine, and I have to leave them in
relatively good working order for non-techincal GNU/Linux newbies, so any
solution has to be relatively low-maintenance.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Andrew

P.S. If this works, will I be able to connect a printer to the scaner's "to
printer" port?

P.P.S. The machine also has Win 98 installed and the scanner works OK under that
"operating system"... so I suppose I might be able to make it work under Wine...
though if that's the way to go I'd appreciate one or two brief pointers as to
where to start... Thanks again.

Obtén tu correo en www.correo.unam.mx
UNAMonos Comunicándonos