[sane-devel] freebsd parallel port scanner

Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:03:27 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 02:36:15AM +0300, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
> I was desperately searching the web, the mailing lists, etc, in order to
> find out if it is possible to use sane + freebsd + parallel port scanner.
>
> For my particular case, I have a Color Vivid Page Pro II which is fully
> supported by the plustek backened, as stable. They say for parallel port
> devices, a special kernel module needs to be installed. But I only found
> a linux kernel module, and I need to get it work on FreeBSD.
>
> I will really be thankfull for any help. I MUST use the scanner on freebsd!

If you must, write a module for FreeBSD :-)

> Also, if any of you knows a parallel device working on *BSD please tell
> me that too. I want to know if I really have to port the linux module.

Some of the other parport scanners are accessed without kernel
modules, e.g. by using inb/outb. That should work with FreeBSD also.
The Mustek Paragon 600 II N is not really a parallel port scanner but
uses its own ISA card which is very similar to a parport card. As far
as I know, it works on FreeBSD also.