[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner can detect the type of USB chipset now

Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:23:45 +0200

Hi,

I've just added support for detecting USB chipsets in
sane-find-scanner in CVS. If you don't have access to CVS, a snapshot
of sane-backends is here: http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/snapshots/

If the chipset is detected, the output looks like this:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x05d8, product=0x4002, chip=GT-6801) at libusb:001:011

or this (if the kernel scanner driver is loaded):

found USB scanner (vendor=0x05d8, product=0x4002, chip=GT-6801?) at libusb:001:011

The idea is to be able to find out, which new devices use the same
chip and may be supported by an already existing backend. Keep in mind
that just detecting the chipsets doesn't mean that the scanner is
supported by SANE.

Please test with your scanners. I want to make sure that I haven't
broken anything.

Also please add tests for more chipsets. First check the
characteristics of your chip in the USB descriptor, e.g. number and
type of endpoints. If you are sure that you've found "your" chip, you
can send a typical message to the scanner like a control message to
get the firmware version or similar. The code is in
tools/check-usb-chip.c. Just copy one of the existing tests and change
as it fits.

If you have a scanner whose chip is not detected but can't write the
code yourself, please send the output of "sane-find-scanner -v -v" and
tell me, which chip it uses. I'll try to write a test myself in this
case.

The following chipsets are currently detected:

Grandtech GT-6801 (e.g. Mustek BearPaw 1200 CU)
Grandtech GT-6816 (e.g. Mustek BearPaw 2400 CU Plus)
Mustek MA-1015 (Mustek ScanExpress 1200 USB)
Mustek MA-1017 (e.g. Mustek ScanExpress 1200 UB)
Mustek MA-1509 (Mustek BearPaw 1200F, SCSI-over-USB)
National Semiconductor LM983x "Merlin" (e.g. HP ScanJet 2200c)

The code for these tests was taken from the "check-usb-scanner"
program which is obsolete now.