[sane-devel] Does anyone need help writing a backend?

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:54:31 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 02:38:36PM +0200, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
> On Samstag, 19. Juli 2003 12:10, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Usually people ask for help here. In this case it's the other way
> > round: I may have some spare time during the next few weeks so if
> > anyone needs help writing a backend I may able to spend some time on
> > it.
>
> "Oh, what a lucky man he is...."

Ha, I just finished my PhD examination so I think it's fair to have
some free time now :-)

> >The list of unsupported scanners gets longer and longer so I
> > thought something should be done :-)
> >
> > I prefer working on fairly recent not too expensive USB scanners so I
> > can get one of these devices for coding.
>
> Well, I think that by supporting the GeneSys Logic stuff we can cover a lot of
> currently available devices. I know that Oliver Rauch is working on that but I
> don't know the status. The only thing I know is, that he's short of time...
> --> Just a proposal!

Ok, I'll get a UMAX 4500 and will see what I can do. From my quick
scan of our lists it looks like these scanners use a GL646 chip:

Avision iVina FB1600 http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/umax-astra-4500.txt
Genius ColorPage HR7X http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/genius-colorpage-hr7x.txt
Lexmark X83 http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/lexmark-x83.txt
Medion/Tevion MD 5345 http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/medion-MD5345.txt
Medion MD6228
Medion MD5345 http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/medion-md6228.txt
Plustek OpticPro S12
Plustek OpticPro S24
UMAX Astra 4500 http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/umax-astra-4500.txt

And maybe the:
Canon CanoScan D2400UF (maybe) http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/canon-d2400uf.txt

But the interval for the interrupt endpoint is different here:
Ivl=10ms. I'm not sure if that matters.

Any more scanners that use the GL646 chipset?

> Are there any other chipsets around that may have the same spreading?

There are some more Genesys chipsets (e.g. the gl841). I have no idea
how common they are and how different they are from the gl646.

The Realtek RTS8801B and C chips are also fairly common. E.g. some HP
and Visioneer scanners use these chips.

Ok, so I'd like to know everything about the gl646. I know the data
sheet from http://www.genesyslogic.com/GL646.htm but nothing more.
Are there already any logs or code (Oliver?)?