[sane-devel] sane-backends effectively GPL'd in disguise?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@zen.epkowa.co.jp
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:47:48 +0900

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.  I would like to point out though that
include/lalloca.h, include/lassert.h and sanei/linux_sg3_err.h were NOT
written specifically for SANE.  Furthermore, one could argue that some
of the #define's count as code because the preprocessor substitutes the
definition.
I guess, looking at the amount of "code" involved, that you could make a
case for "fair use" though.

The README (huh? I assume you mean the LICENSE file) can state whatever
it wants, if a backend links against GPL'd code the exception is void.
BTW, the LICENSE file explicitly says that copyright information in each
file overrides whatever it says.

I would certainly appreciate it if sane-backends-1.0.13 includes a SANE
exception in the files I listed, if only to avoid confusing people like
myself ;-)
For include/lalloca.h, include/lassert.h and sanei/linux_sg3_err.h this
is probably not feasible though.  Permission to add the exception from
the copyright holder is required or appropriate replacements need to be
provided.  In the case of lalloca.h you could probably use the example
from the autoconf info pages (citing "fair use" of the manual).

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2