[sane-devel] Current TODO list

Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:54:16 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 07:43:40AM -0400, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> Once we store the image data, there are (at least) two options: For
> image formats that support embedded ICC profiles (TIFF and PNG) it is
> not necessary to do any color correction: The image gets stored as it
> was read from the scanner. In addition to the raw image data, the ICC
> profile gets also stored in the image file. This way, there is no
> loss in image quality, and an application that is ICC aware can then
> apply the source profile (scanner profile) and e.g.  another display
> profile or an output profile (printer) to perform the necessary
> color correction. Every time a profile is applied, the image quality
> suffers a bit, so it's a good idea to limit the number of profile
> transformations.

Ok, but e.g. with Xsane viewer mode the program doesn't know which file
type is used before the user actually saves the file.

And I think the color correction should be done in hardware if the
backend/scanner supports that. So the user has to decide if he wants
to apply the color correction immediately (instead of saving the ICC
data with the image data) before actually doing the scan. That's
because the frontend must set the gamma tables before the scan.