[sane-devel] Announcing Scanner-HOWTO at tldp.org

stef stef-listes@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:49:01 +0000

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:18:39AM -0500, Howard Shane wrote:
> I would like to announce the completion of the initial draft of the
> Scanner-HOWTO for the linux documentation project, and invite
> participants on the SANE-devel mailing list to comment on it.
>
> The goal of this document is to bridge point A (scanner) to point B
> (scanner running successfully in linux) for the relative newbie as
> efficiently as possible. As such it should not be too technical, it
> should cover the most common hardware interface types, the required
> steps to reach a working result, likely pitfalls and how to recover from
> them, and places to go for help. It is not designed to be an exaustive
> list of harware in/compatibilities.
>
> Any help you can suggest to clarify or otherwise improve the draft will
> be greatly appreciated and may even result in you being mentioned in the
> credits if you so desire.
>
> The document can be found at:
>
> http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Scanner-HOWTO.html

	Hello,

	I've parsed it a bit, and I must say that you're painting the picture darker than it
really is for parallel port scanners. Parallel port scanners listed in SANE do work. No need to
frighten people.

	I'm a bit skeptic about favouring ECP mode. It may be wise for printers, but I think
it is useless for scanners, unless you use some patch that bring DMA reads. From a quick grep
in SANE docs, EPP or ECP/EPP seems to be the recommended setting.

	By the way, an EPP scan is way faster than PS/2 or bidirectional mode. Also, I don't
think unidirectional mode is suitable for scanning.

Regards,
	Stef