[sane-devel] CVS freeze ?

Wed, 4 Jun 2003 22:25:28 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:57:27PM +0200, Thomas Soumarmon wrote:
> Sorry for the silly question but I have been a bit SANE-offline for a while,
> and I didn't find quickly the answer in the mail archive.

Search for "release" and/or freeze in the archive. Or check the
Changelog in CVS for messages like this:

******  Release of sane-backends 1.0.12. End of code freeze ******

> I wanted to commit into CVS some changes about the hp5400 backend.
> Is there a CVS freeze at the moment or may I do it ?

You can commit whatever you want :-) By the way, I changed
backend/Makefile.in to not link hp5400 to sanei_config2.lo. That
shouldn't affect your backend because you don't use that code at all.

> And before that, is there a compile farm or some kind of, to verify
> at least it compiles ok on various platforms before commiting it ?

If you like, you can use the Hewlett Packard test drive at
testdrive.hp.com. They have several Linux, *BSD, Tru64, and HP/UX
machines. But setting this up to work at least semi-automatically
requires quite some work and some non-linux Unix knowledge :-/

So if you don't want to invest some time into learning how
crappy^h^h^h^h^h^h differnt from Linux some systems are, compiling
with Linux (and maybe a BSD if you have it) is ok. I'm using the
testdrive from time to time and will complain if something doesn't work.

> PS2: I have been messing around a lot before finding the DEBUG_NOT_STATIC
> trick to avoid the missing symbol sane_debug_hp5400_call !!!

The debug macros ARE complex if you use more than one compilation unit.