[sane-devel] Redhat 9 and XSane .89

Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:51:20 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:11:02PM -0700, Philip M Dunton wrote:
> I have an Epson 1650 scanner which worked perfectly with my Redhat 8
> installation.  Never a second of grief.
> Now, after switching to RH 9 and the version of Sane which comes with it I

Which version of SANE is that (scanimage --version)?

> find a very ill-mannered Sane implementation.
> First, XSane goes out and looks for a scanner automatically on log-in.

You mean xsane is started when you log into X? Oh well...

But that is really a setup you should ask Redhat about. We (the SANE
developers) don't do that :-)

> My scanner is on a USB switch so it can be shared with two other
> computers so most of the time it is not available on start-up.  The
> "Looking" dialog just hangs around forever.

All the frontends ask the backends for available scanners on start-up.
But this shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

> Second, I cannot use XSane or anything (GIMP) that uses it.  The application
> just locks up after running the scanning mechanism.  I have to KILL the
> process.

Does that also happen with other frontends like xscanimage or scanimage?

E.g. try (in an xterm):

SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L

If it hangs, what are the last few lines of output? They should
contain the name of the backend that freezes.

You can comment out this backend in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

> I am using the current iscan rpm from EpsonKowa.

Oh, that's not part of the SANE package. If it's a problem with that
package, better ask Epson-Kowa for help.

> Is there something I should know here?

You could try the normal epson backend that comes with SANE.