[sane-devel] Canon Lide 30 backend

Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:16:38 +0200

Hi,

I'm cc'ing to the sane-devel list again. I'm not a plustek expert so
please direct yout answers to the list. Maybe someone with more
plustek experience knows what's going on better :-)

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 06:36:52PM +0000, Michael Rasile wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I tried everything you suggested but alas, no
> go. I have the scanner and usb stuff compiled into the kernel, so I
> am not using modules. I am using Gentoo and I know the version of
> xsane is not the latest 0.86. I don't know if this has anything to do
> with anything. I know the scanner works because I was using Mandrake
> 9.1 previously and the scanner setup was all done automatically. The
> kernel finds the scanner at boot time and sane-find-scanner finds the
> scanner.

Please show us the output of "sane-find-scanner -q".

> Why won't xsane see the scanner. I'm so frustrated because I
> can't figure this thing out even with the docs. :-) I checked the
> website for the driver, but do I need to recompile sane-frontend and
> back-end or what?

If you have recent versions of sane-backends, no you don't need to
recompile anything (I guess).

Which version of sane-backends do you use (scanimage --version)?

> I know this is all very simple for you, but I have
> run into a brick wall. I have placed everything(I think) in
> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and plustek.conf but alas, no go. Any further
> suggestions as to what I might do or where I might go to help myself
> figure this out.

Well, I told you how to enable debugging. Did you do that? What
happened? I didn't tell you to send us the debug output explicitely,
but that was my intention :-) So Please show us the ouput of

SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L

You can save it into a file like this:

SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L 2>file.txt

If there is no output (but the "No scanner found"), the plustek
backend is not loaded at all (nor in dll.conf?)

In this case, please also try:

SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L 2>file2.txt

> I do appreciate your help and also your patience for
> reading the ramblings of a nearly insane.(no pun intended)

No problem. That's one of the aims of this mailing list :-)

> :-))I've
> checked the Gentoo forums and see people having the same problem with
> xsane, but I haven't found anything yet that helps me. I will keep
> searching. You know, if Mandrake is able to configure my scanner,
> shouldn't just about every distro be able to do the same thing? (no
> response needed here. :-))

Well, the response should be given by your distributor :-)