[sane-devel] Problem building on OSX

Peter Howard pjh@coastal.net.au
18 Jun 2003 13:46:43 +1000

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 22:07, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I am guessing here, but are you using Apple's developer tools which
> shipped with 10.2 ?

Indeed.

> This works for me with the ld from the December 2002 developer tools,
> looks like a linker issue may have been fixed in that release.
>
> You can get a copy of the December 2002 tools from
> http://connect.apple.com after free registration.
>
> I'd be interested to know if this solves your problem, I thought that
> this was solved prior to release of 1.0.12, but it may have only been
> "solved" for those of us with the latest linker :(

Skipping the mini-saga of getting it downloaded . . . I installed the
December update this morning.  And, lo and behold, sane builds and
installs.  Thanks.

While I'm here . . .the reason I've been building sane is to do with the
"less than perfect" support for OSX from scanner manufacturers.
Searching back through the mailing list archives I saw some comments
agreeing with that, but nothing much more.  I have sitting next to me an
Epson USB scanner (Perfection 610) beloning to my in-laws.  Having had
zero luck with the official Epson driver I'm turning to sane (which I
also use on my linux box).  However, not being the most technically
minded, what my Mother-in-law really wants is to be able to drive the
scanner from inside iPhoto.  Has anyone done work on a sane frontend to
plug in as a normal OSX scanner input? Given no SANE->TWAIN bridge
around on OSX I suspect not, or not very far.  But if you don't ask . .
.:-)

PJH